If you want to follow my photography blog, It's been moved to malissaeekhoffphotography.com !

Saturday, November 22, 2008

In Over My Head

A few weeks ago I saw a formal dress online at the Gap and thought it was adorable, pricey, but adorable. I am my father's daughter so I have "Why pay someone else when I can make/do it myself" in my DNA. This comes in handy sometimes but other times, I wonder if in the long run, I should have just paid the price. This *might* be one of those times. I combined elements from a couple different patterns and then made part of it up myself to concoct the dress. Then I used a polyester formal wear fabric that has been nothing but headaches! It is slippery but won't "ease", it frays immediately, It is thick, and it won't hold a good crease. In an attempt to solve that last problem, I turned the iron up a little, then a little more until I actually melted part of the dress! Thank goodness it was a part that would be hidden in a seam allowance. But I pressed on (like the pun :). After much frustration I have completed the dress. Not my best handiwork in some areas, but it will do.

5 comments:

Brian and Jocelyn said...

Wow! You never cease to impress me with your talent to make things!The dress is beautiful, Lauren will look really cute in it!

Anonymous said...

It is sharp. Good job Mal. I know what you mean about that kind of material. There is no forgiveness.
Mom E

WAKonings said...

Beautiful, Mal!

Unknown said...

I am quite impressed as well!! I can't wait to see Lauren in it!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! Mike married one little Martha Stewart that's for sure! :)