I hate how marketers target the youngest of our society and prey on their natural joy and excitement, using them as pawns to get their parents (poor suckers that they are) to buy things simply because they have a familiar character on them that the child loves and will beg to have. They totally let the kids do the dirty work for them, pleading with their parents to buy this and that. TV commercials aimed towards kids tell them they need this toy or that snack. But you don't even have to watch TV. All the fun characters that kids are naturally drawn to are plastered on soup cans, toothpaste and tooth brushes (try finding one that isn't branded with a TV or movie character!) heck, even our babies little tushies can't escape being branded.
Now all that being said, let me just be the first to call myself a..... SUCKER!
Ok, even though I decided not to buy this "Cars" camping set in the store when we saw it there a couple months ago (we went with a practical, sensible, plain brown sleeping bag for Aidan instead,) I couldn't resist listing it as a possible gift option when my mom asked me what Aidan might like for his birthday. I knew he would be so excited to have it and wanted to see the look on his face when he saw it. So that is what my parents got Aidan for his birthday (incidently, the "Cars" shirt was from my mom too.) And just as I suspected, he was very excited to see what was under that wrapping paper. And did I enjoy every minute of it? You bet!


He has been spending lots of time in his tent and has filled it with all the comforts of home. A box to sit in, some books to read, some letters to play with (yes, foam bath letters and magnetic letters are Aidan's favorite toy) and some stickers (eh hem, Lightning McQueen stickers) to add a decorative touch.Thanks Grandpa and Grandma I. for the gift!
4 comments:
I feel the same way about Princess stuff! The other day we were in the store and Taryn saw something with Elmo on it. She started yelling out "ELMO!!" We don't even watch Elmo, where did she get that from?! One of her first words was Mickey. Oh dear. But, i love the camping set...no you aren't a sucker. :) Everything in moderation!
Aidan's expressionis great. So is Mike's by the way. What a neat gift,he will get lots of play time out of it. I have just one question......how do you keep Lauren out of it? :-)
Mom E (the other Grandma)
Mom . . . you don't. What's Aidan's is Lauren's and vice-versa.
Yeah, this was a fun day.
I hear ya but I am ready to say I have been thorougly (yikes, sp?) sucked in by the Disney Princesses just because of the sheer joy it gives Stella. Karsyn never had a theme favorite, neither did Tate, but Stella is all about princesses and it's so fun. So I get why you wanted to see Aidan's face light up!
Sara W.
Post a Comment